- The 16th Doing Business Index, 2019 Report, was released on October 31, 2018.
- The theme of Doing Business Index, 2019 – Training for Reform.
- Doing Business captured a record 314 regulatory reforms between June 2, 2017, and May 1, 2018. Worldwide, 128 economies introduced substantial regulatory improvements making it easier to do business in all areas measured by Doing Business.
- The economies with the most notable improvement in Doing Business 2019 are Afghanistan, Djibouti, China, Azerbaijan, India, Togo, Kenya, Côte d’Ivoire, Turkey and Rwanda.
- One-third of all business regulatory reforms recorded by Doing Business 2019 were in the economies of Sub-Saharan Africa. With a total of 107 reforms, Sub-Saharan Africa once again has a record number this year.
- The BRIC economies—Brazil, the Russian Federation, India and China—introduced a total of 21 reforms, with getting electricity and trading across borders the most common areas of improvement.
- Regulations affecting 11 areas of the life of a business are covered: starting a business, dealing with construction permits, getting electricity, registering property, getting credit, protecting minority investors, paying taxes, trading across borders, enforcing contracts, resolving insolvency and labor market regulation.
- The labor market regulation data are not included in this year’s ranking on the ease of doing business.
- Doing business index, the top five countries in 2019 – 1. New Zealand, 2. Singapore, 3. Denmark, 4. Hong Kong and 5. Republic of Korea.
- Doing business index, the last five countries in 2019 – 190. Somalia, 189. Eritrea, 188. Venezuela, 187. Yemen and 186 Libya.
- This report has a BRICS ranking of countries – 31. Russia, 46. China, 77. India, 82. South Africa and 109. Brazil.
- This report contains the rankings of SAARC countries – 77. India, 81. Bhutan, 100. Sri Lanka, 110. Nepal, 136. Pakistan, 139. Maldives, 167. Afghanistan and 176. Bangladesh.
- It is worth mentioning that the first edition of the Doing Business Index was published in September 2003.
- It is issued by the World Bank Group (IBRD and IDA).
- India has the following place in various indicators:
Indicator Rank 2018 Rank 2019
Starting a Business 156 137
Dealing with construction permits 181 52
Getting electricity 29 24
Registering property 154 166
Getting credit 29 22
Protecting minority investors 4 7
Trading across borders 146 80
Paying taxes 119 121
Enforcing contracts 164 163
Resolving insolvency 103 108
Overall Rank 100 77
Question: – What is the ranking of India in the Doing Business Index, 2019?
(a) 90th (b) 81st
(c) 100th (d) 77th
Related links: –