- The 17th Doing Business Index, 2020 Report, was released on October 24, 2018.
- The economies with the most notable improvement in Doing Business2020 are Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Togo, Bahrain, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Kuwait, China, India, and Nigeria.
- Doing Business 2020 measures regulations across 190 economies in 12 business regulatory areas to assess the business environment in each economy.
- Ten of these indicators were used to estimate an ease of doing business score this year, over the 12 months ending April 30, 2019.
- This is the 17th edition of a study that has motivated governments worldwide to undertake business reforms with the goal of bolstering sustainable economic growth.
- The study looks at rules affecting a business from inception through operation to wind-down: starting a business, dealing with construction permits, getting electricity, registering property, getting credit, protecting minority investors, paying taxes, trading across borders, enforcing contracts, and resolving insolvency.
- Doing business index, the top five countries in 2020 – 1. New Zealand, 2. Singapore, 3. Hong Kong SAR, China, 4. Denmark and 5. Republic of Korea.
- Doing business index, the last five countries in 2020 – 190. Somalia, 189. Eritrea, 188. Venezuela, 187. Yemen and 186 Libya.
- This report has a BRICS ranking of countries – 28. Russia, 31. China, 63. India, 84. South Africa and 124. Brazil.
- This report contains the rankings of SAARC countries – 63.India, 89. Bhutan, 94. Nepal, 99. Sri Lanka, 108. Pakistan, 147. Maldives, 168. Bangladesh and 173. Afghanistan.
- It is worth mentioning that the first edition of the Doing Business Index was published in September 2003.
- It is issued by the World Bank Group (IBRD and IDA).
Question: – What is the ranking of India in the Doing Business Index, 2020?
(a) 90th (b) 81st
(c) 63th (d) 77th
Related links: –